The Dairy Cattle Welfare Symposium: Intersection of Best Practices and Sustainability
The Dairy Cattle Welfare Symposium brings together dairy farmers, veterinarians, consultants, universities, and the dairy community to discuss best recommended practices with focus on animal well-being, management, husbandry, animal-people interaction, health, and productivity. The first keynote speaker will be Dr. Bernard Rollin discussing “Ethics/Philosophy of Animal Welfare”. Other speakers will include Gwyn Jones, Alison Van Eenennaam, Hans Coetzee, Joao Costa, Emily Miller-Cushon, Christopher Wolf, Harvey Scott, Alan Theede, Brandon Treichler, and Jim Reynolds. The program will also include consumer and producer panel discussions as well as short oral presentations on dairy welfare-related research by students from universities across the country. The symposium is targeted towards dairy producers, consultants, dairy industry reps, academia/Extension, and veterinarians.
We will once again offer a Spanish-Seaking Session targeted towards farm managers, herdsmen, and key employees. This session will be held during the afternoon of the first day, May 29th. The goal for this Spanish-Speaking Session is to teach the basics of animal welfare, why it is important on the dairy, and how to train other employees. Completion of this session will count towards required annual training outlined in the National Dairy Farmers Assuring Responsible Management (FARM) Program.
CE Credit (12 hours)
- Approved by:
Dates & Location
- May 29-30, 2019
Embassy Suites by Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista South
4955 KYNGS HEATH ROAD
KISSIMMEE, FLORIDA 34746
- Embassy Suites by Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista South
- Cutoff date for Room Block: May 7, 2019
- Group Name: Dairy Cattle Welfare Council
- Includes breakfast (2), lunch (2), social (1), and breaks (3)
- Includes free participation in optional Spanish-Speaking Session
- Early Registration: $250 (ends on April 30th)
- Regular Registration: $300
- On-site Registration: $350
Spanish-Speaking Session Only
- Wednesday, May 29, 1:30 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Includes break and optional social hour
- Individual rate: $75
- Farm rate (maximum of 4 people): $200
DCWC members have unlimited access to full proceedings in the membership portion of the website (member login).